- 1905 Spencer HC formed
- 1936 A.D.Ogilvy, Spencer 1st XI Captain made captain of England
- 1957 New pavilion built to replace one destroyed by fire
- 1970 99 year lease secured for the Spencer ground (£20k raised by members)
- 1974 Defeat Southgate in the Telegraph final
- 1989 First Spencer women's team started
- 2001 EH Men's Trophy Winner
- 2004 EH Timpson Trophy Winner (mixed)
- 2006 First all weather pitch at Spencer (£150k raised by members)
- 2011 Freehold secured for the Spencer ground
- 2011 Membership reaches 750 making Spencer the 3rd biggest hockey club in England
- 2012 Refurbishment of the clubhouse changing rooms (£90k raised by members)
We believe that combining volunteering with only limited professional roles (eg facilities manager, head coaches) we have created a unique blend of talents, and an unrivalled loyal membership. There is a real sense of belonging at Spencer that comes from the fact that our members invest so much of their energy on and off the field to the club.
Becoming a member at Spencer allows you to do more than just play hockey. We want to encourage you as a member, be it current player, alumni, parent or friend, to get involved in the Club's development.
How to get involved
There are many ways for you to get involved whether it is helping out with socials, coaching or umpiring to taking on committee appointments, which usually change every second year, so members quickly obtain a wide experience of Club activities.
Some examples of roles which are available:
- Volunteer co-ordinator
- Communications manager
- Legal and admin support (eg reviewing contracts)
- Stand-alone projects, such as sourcing equipment
Find out more about which roles you can get involved with