New season Info 2012/13
Joining Spencer for 11/12 Season - All you need to know!
Availability of Spaces
W1s have been promoted into South Division 2. We are mainly looking for players between W1s to W3s level, though there may be some limited spaces in other teams too.
There are limited slots across the eleven teams.
Keepers (Men and Women)
Keepers are always welcome of both genders. The women's section are in particular need!
Please see junior hockey pages for details:http://www.spencerclub.org/hockey/juniors/
This season, we will invite new players to summer league, pre-season matches and training as opposed to a one day trials event. Key dates:
Women's Summer League: Monday's from 18th June through to July 30th.
Men's Summer League: Tuesday's from 19th June through to August 7th.
Fitness training: Monday's 8-9pm from 16th July.
Skills training: starts week commencing 13th Aug. See timings below.
Pre-season games: every Sat from 1st Sept until the first league games
Selection of players will be based on all sessions rather than a one-off trials event. It is suggested that you attend as many fitness sessions and training sessions as possible to give yourself the best possible chance of getting in. Doing this will also give you the opportunity get to know people and thus make an informed decision about joining the club.
Please keep Saturday 1st September free for our first pre-season friendlies. New players will be invited along to these, so pop it in your diary!
- Pre-season fitness - every Monday night (20:00-21:00) starting Mon 16th July at the club on the grass.
- Training - timings below starting week commencing 13th August.
- Pre-season games - every Sat in September until the first league games (normally the penultimate Sat of September).
Selection of players is done during all sessions and not just at trials -it is suggested that you attend as many fitness sessions and training sessions as possible to give yourself the best possible chance of getting in. Doing this will also give you the opportunity get to know people and thus make an informed decision about joining the club.
We charge an all-in-one subscription which covers fitness sessions, skills training, matches and teas. This can be paid monthly or all in one. Doing it this way makes Spencer one of the cheapest clubs in South London to play a season of hockey for. Full subs are £370, which works out at a couple of quid a session. The only other expense is buying kit.
Pitches and Training
All training is at our pitch and club house in Earlsfield.
- 19:30 - 21:00 Womens 5-6
- 19:30 - 20:30 Mens Spitfires, Saints, Hurricanes, Harlequins & Titans
- 20:30 - 21:30 Mens 3-6
- 20:00 - 21:30 Mens 1-2
- 19:30 - 20:30 Womens 3-4
- 20:00 - 21:30 Womens 1-2
Home matches are at Spencer HC and at Battersea Park. Fitness training is on the grass at the clubhouse or on the pitch depending on conditions.Click here for a map
Spencer teams are strong across the board and very competitive in their leagues. Men's 1st XI play in South Premier (league below national league) Women's 1st XI play in South Region Division 2. Men's 2nd XI play in London Premier Women's 2nd XI play in Surrey Premier. The other men's teams play in the London League and the Surrey League, whilst the remaining Women's teams play in the Surrey League.
So if you are interested in joining please email email@example.com the following information:
1) Who you've played for recently, ie which club and which team (if this is outside England please try and provide some guidance as to what level that is in relation to top flight hockey in that country so we can have a steer on which team you are looking to go into);
2) Your preferred position;
3) How old you are;
4) Your contact details (mobile ideally);
5) If you know any current members and if so, who?
5) Lastly if your gender is not clear from your name (Sam, Alex,etc) then please make it clear in your email-its amazing how often we get this wrong!
We will then keep a record of your details, send you updates and then invite you along to the appropriate sessions.
Martin & Natalie
Spencer Club Captains