How to Join Spencer Juniors
Who can join?
All level of experience are catered for (see exception below). The children are split into groups reflecting their size, age and ability.
Currently we are not able to provide playing opportunities for novice players who are 13 years or older or new members over 16. Existing members who reach the age of 16 will be given the opportunity to play for Adult Development sides. This is reviewed annually.
We aim to maintain a maximum ratio of 12 players to 1 coach (8 to 1 for players under 7 years of age). Membership numbers are limited by the number of coaches we have and pitch availability.
How can I join?
We are currently processing renewals of exisiting members for the 2016/2017 season. Places will then be offered to those on the waiting list, if there are any places available to offer. The main reason we do not have many places available is because we limit each age group to approximately 30 children as this is the maximum that can be accommodated on our current pitch space. We can add you to our waiting list, but generally only 2 or 3 places become available each season, through leavers in each age group.
The exception is at Mixed U7 (Yr1/2), Mixed U8 (Yr3) and U9s (Yr4). Half of these groups move up into the next age group, which leaves spaces for new children. At U9 we have separate groups for girls and boys. At this point we take about 15 new girls but there is no extra space for boys.
In general, the older the age group, the more chance we will have leavers and spaces available.
Waiting list priorities
The junior section operates a waiting list. As the junior section is run almost entirely by volunteers, when a space is available, priority will normally go to parents prepared to volunteer.Each age groups' demands for volunteers are ascertained, as are the demands of the whole junior section when offering places to potential volunteers' children on the waiting lists. Other factors are also considered, e.g. whether the child is a dedicated goal keeper, whether the child has a sibling who is a current member of the junior section and the length of time on the waiting list.
If you would like to be put on one of our waiting lists, please contact our Membership Secretary with the following information:
- Child's details: name, surname, date of birth
- Parents details: name, surname, email, mobile nr
- If you are a Spencer Hockey Club (senior section) member: which team, captains name
- Whether you have a sibling in the junior section: their name, which team and team manager name
- Volunteering. If you want to volunteer how many hours per week you could do. 2hrs per week, per month, per season or no spare time. Type of volunteering you'd be able to do, coaching, pitch side, admin etc.
- Hockey experience, coaching qualifications if relevant
Offer of a place
Should a place come up in an age group, offers will be made as follows:
- Offers made to children on the waiting lists to start in the Mixed U7 and Mixed U8 groups must be accepted (with membership forms completed and fees paid) within 10 days of the date of the offer. Membership fees are non-refundable. If a child starts and REALLY dislikes hockey, we can look at reimbursing fees, on an individual basis but this is at the sole discretion of the Junior Hockey Committee (JHC).
- Offers made to children on the waiting lists to start in the GU9, GU10, GU11, BU10 and BU12 (the boys going into year 6 only) are made subject to the girl/boy having a taster session on the first opportunity after accepting the place after which, the offer must be accepted (with membership forms completed and fees paid) within one week after the taster session.
- Offers made to children on the waiting lists to start in all the other groups (year 7 and above) are made conditional upon the girl/boy attending and passing an assessment session. The basis of the assessment is to ensure the girl/boy will be able to participate fully with the training, and contribute to the group and competitive leagues that the group enters.
- In all cases, if a child wishes to remain on the waiting list after he/she declines and offer or decides to leave, there is no guarantee that an offer will be made in the following season.
- All offers must be authorised by the JHC.
How much does it cost?
Junior membership covers all the Sunday training sessions and matches from September to March. Most of our coaches are volunteers, so the fees collected cover equipment, pitch hire, coaches' training and insurance, and a contribution to the upkeep of the Spencer clubhouse and grounds.
Subscription Fees for 2017/18 season
U13 and younger - £155
U14 and older - £200
U13 and younger - £135
U14 and older - £180
Where is Spencer?
All Weather Pitch, Spencer Hockey Club, Fieldview, Earlsfield, SW18 3HF